Monday, October 5, 2009

First Impressions

Arriving in Venice, I was overwhelmed by the massive quantities of people crowding the tiny streets of this ancient city. I imagined Venice as a quiet place, but so far it seems to be a lively, bustling city full sound. Venice also seems to be a mysterious place, with overcrowded alleys leading into silent and completely deserted streets. The city is slightly like a Disneyworld and a museum all rolled into one. The beauty of the architecture is undeniable and it is still possible to feel the history permeating out of the city, however the numerous shops selling masks, gelato and Venice tee shirts and key chains remind me of a theme park, where you can simply buy a piece of merchandise with the logo stamped on it and feel like you’ve walked away with a piece of the place. However, I know that after months of living in this city, I will take more away from it than the souvenirs collected. I will understand the city behind the tourism and the true nature of the city.



It still feels weird not to see or hear any cars, and I absolutely love using boats to get everywhere. I’ve always enjoyed being on the water, and using it (along with my feet) as my main modes of transportation should be a new and exciting experience. The city is the perfect one for walking, with your feet leading you to discover a new and unfamilar street one after another. Exploring the city with the rest of my classmates today, I loved stumbling upon new alleys and discovering the inner depths of the city. There seems to be so much to see in Venice, and I am excited about (hopefully) knowing the city fairly well by the time I leave in December. After being in Venice for a day, I have gotten a superficial look at the city and I am excited to dive in and discover what the city is all about.




No comments:

Post a Comment